Thursday, March 24, 2011

D&D's Big 'N Toasty

I originally bought Dunkin Donut’s Big ‘N Toasty on a Sunday morning, before going to play a round of indoor golf.  Whether it’s indoor golf or outdoor golf, I really enjoy getting my coffee and breakfast at Dunkin Donuts.  Please be warned, Dunkin Donuts coffee and breakfast before golf is not for everyone.  Some of my friends consider that combination to be quite a potent laxative.  No one wants to do the awkward penguin walk to the bathroom after the second hole. 
Only for strong stomachs

The Big ‘N Toasty markets itself as featuring two peppered fried eggs, four slices of cherry wood smoked bacon and a slice of American cheese.  All of these are put between two slices of Texas toast.  I did not read these specifications of the Big ‘N Toasty before my first purchase.  I just saw the pictures hanging around multiple Dunkin Donuts around Boston and in typical caveman fashion, thought to myself, “ME WANT NOW”.  All of the ingredients of the Big ‘N Tasty are right up my alley.  I thought it would be a no brainer, that the whole would be greater than the sum of its parts.  However, I was very disappointed with the Big ‘N Toasty.  I was shocked by how greasy the Texas toast was. I don’t mind grease in my food, but this thing was greasier than a teenager’s forehead working the fryer at Krusty Burger.  Couple that with a severe lack of bacon, and I was downtrodden by the entire breakfast.  If you’re going to use two thick slices of Texas toast to book-end the sandwich, the amount of bacon I received was simply not enough.  It felt like I was eating just an egg and cheese sandwich.  The only positive of the sandwich was its portability.   I ended up driving to golf and eating the sandwich while keeping my lap and seat clean.

As the week went by, I convinced myself that maybe the Dunkin Donuts at the corner of East and West Broadway in South Boston had skimped me on bacon.  Maybe they gave me 2 slices instead of 4.  Dunkin Donuts has been so good to me in the past that they have built up the equity to deserve a second chance.  I also changed up my order to replace the bacon with sausage.  At Dunkin Donuts, one sausage patty has more meat than two bacon slices, but somehow that’s what the break down is when you substitute one for the other.  The second trial is better than the first.  The sausage patties are definitely more proportional to the Texas toast and the fried eggs.  They don’t get lost in it all and makes for a much more balanced sandwich.  I had it for breakfast and was full through lunch.  What I still can’t get past is the greasiness of the toast.  It’s just as greasy as KFC original recipe chicken which is on the Mount Rushmore of greasy food items.  The Big ‘N Toasty was a rare miss for Dunkin Donuts.

Ratings:

Taste: C
Visual Appeal: A
Value: B
Actual to Commercial: C-

1 comment:

  1. I know the font is inconsistant but I can't change it....

    ReplyDelete