Monday, January 17, 2011

TB's Frito Burrito

      In celebration of the 2011 Martin Luther King Day, I decided to try Taco Bell’s Beefy Crunch Burrito. Much like Hollywood remakes movies from the past because they are running out of ideas, like The Karate Kid, True Grit, and Alice and Wonderland, Taco Bell decided to bring back the Beefy Crunch Burrito from years ago. The Beefy Crunch Burrito is a chili cheese burrito with Spicy Frito Corn Chips added in.
      I’ll be the first to admit that I don't have the best knowledge about Taco Bell’s menu. I’m more of a McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Dunkin Donuts guy. When I think about Taco Bell, I think of my two friends, Doug and Evan. Doug and Evan were roommates for 3 years in college and continue to be great friends. I’m a firm believer that couples need to have a few common interests to use as a base for their relationship. Some couples have an affinity for wine and go to tastings together, some couples are like the ones in the Michelob Ultra ads and love to go hiking and be active. I like to think that Doug and Evan’s friendship is based on the foundation that is the love for Taco Bell. These are two people that have gone to a Taco Bell 20 minutes before it has opened and waited the 20 minutes to get their “breakfast”. That’s commitment.
      So yesterday I asked my friend Doug if he had tried the Beefy Crunch Burrito and he had not. Today was the perfect time to try it. Now if you live in Boston, you are probably aware of the fact that it lacks in its Taco Bell options. It’s perplexing but Taco Bell has yet to really penetrate the Boston market. For that reason, I don’t really have a go to Taco Bell around the city.
Taco Bell/KFC


I end up driving to the Taco Bell/KFC in Cambridge by Central Square. I’ve been there before and it has parking. I think that’s where my first mistake was made. I’ve had discussions about 2 fast food joints sharing one building. For the most part, they’ve had lackluster reviews for service or quality. Which make sense if you think about it. I compare it to when a high school athlete excels at 2 sports. Eventually, to get the college scholarship, you have to decide on a sport to focus you skills on. I order the Beefy Crunch Burrito by the name it should be called, “The Frito Burrito”, and the lady looks at me with a confused face and points at a picture of the Beefy Crunch Burrito as if to say, “Did you mean this one?” Come on Taco Belll! Frito rhymes with Burrito! The name is right in front of you and you name it the “Beefy Crunch Burrito”? You messed up.
      So I order and a woman in a KFC outfit starts making my Burrito. The was not busy enough that I was able to watch her make the burrito. To say that she was lacking in enthusiasm while making my burrito would be an understatement. The execution was downright sloppy. I think she even yawned when adding the sour cream that comes out in that weird caulking gun contraption. Nonetheless, I was put off by the service. I ended up driving back to my apartment and eating the burrito there.
      When people ask me how the Beefy Crunch Burrito is, I will tell them the only thing that comes to mind. It’s ok. I don’t know you’ve had Frito Lay’s “Flaming Hot” version of their products before but they are kind of all the same. A few of the “Flaming Hot” snacks I’ve had are the Flaming Hot Lays Chips, Flaming Hot Cheetos and the Flaming Hot Funyuns. These products are basically Lays, Cheetos, or Funyuns covered with a red flavoring that makes them spicy. One thing to note is the red isn’t just your normal red. It’s a radioactive red that also dyes your fingers the same color while eating.
Should be named "Frito Burrito"


     The first bite I had is spicy. It’s all chip and burrito wrap. It’s also crunchy like the commercials say. As I keep on eating, the burrito gets less crunchy and spicy as the beef, rice, and sour cream make the Frito’s soggier and coat the spiciness. However, it’s hard to say something negative about the burrito itself. The flavors of Flaming Hot Fritos, beef, rice and sour cream go well together in taste and texture. It just doesn’t knock your socks off. Add that along with its very reasonable 99 cent price and it’s a pretty good deal. If the Beefy Crunch Burrito were a movie, I’d tell you to see it, but wait until it comes out on DVD.

Ratings:

Taste: B
Visual Appeal: B-
Value: A
Actual to Commercial: B+

1 comment:

  1. 20 minutes early was an understatement. It was the best breakfast I had all weekend

    ReplyDelete